Executive Director Job Description
San Marcos River Foundation (SMRF), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1985, is seeking a passionate Executive Director to lead the organization through its next chapter. SMRF has a prestigious history and reputation of representing the San Marcos River from the Hill Country to the Gulf of Mexico. The Executive Director will guide the organization as we continue longstanding programs and launch new efforts that support the mission to protect and preserve a clean, flowing and accessible San Marcos River through water and land conservation, advocacy and community engagement.
The Executive Director is responsible for successful leadership and management of the organization including administrative, fundraising, and program oversight. The Executive Director serves as the spokesperson for the organization and represents its values and mission at all times. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works with and supervises all staff.
Community Relations and Advocacy Responsibilities
• Keep members and stakeholders informed of SMRF’s work in the community and river news with a regularly published newsletter.
• Establish good working relationships and collaborations with community groups, funders, government officials, community leaders, and related regional organizations.
• Attend public meetings and hearings that address topics affecting SMRF’s mission and advocate on behalf of the organization as needed.
• Participate in regional efforts such as watershed plans, habitat conservation plans, water planning boards and other relevant coalitions.
Financial Management and Fundraising Responsibilities
• Collaborate with staff and Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive budget and to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization. (Research funding sources, develop fundraising plans, and write funding proposals.)
• Monitor the monthly cash flow and provide the Board of Directors with regular and comprehensive reports of revenues and expenditures.
Land Conservation Responsibilities
• Identify priority land conservation areas and projects to support the SMRF mission.
• Cultivate interest in land conservation opportunities among landowners and pursue conservation easement acquisitions.
• Review potential land conservation projects to ensure sound transactions, responsible stewardship and compliance with the Land Trust Alliance’s Standards and Practices.
• Oversee responsible planning and stewardship of the East Side Preserve.
The ideal candidate would have a combination of the following qualifications:
• Intimate familiarity with the land and water of the San Marcos River and Edwards Aquifer region.
• Knowledge and background with land conservation including conservation easement acquisition and fee land stewardship.
• Effective public speaker with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Action-oriented, self-starter, highly skilled listener and a communicator who can inspire confidence among all stakeholders.
• Prior experience working for or managing a nonprofit organization.
• Environmental advocacy experience.
• Advanced degree in environmental or public policy, environmental science, natural resources or other relevant fields.
Full-time exempt employment based in San Marcos with flexible work schedule including some nights and weekends. Annual salary set at $40,000 with pay raises possible based on merit and available funding.
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to Stephen Ramirez, Board President at firstname.lastname@example.org – no phone calls.
Job posting closes July 29th, 2019